Why you’re going to love this recipe:
- This is the perfect easy apple dessert recipe that doesn’t require any fuss with making pie dough.
- It’s the perfect recipe to use up any of those Fall apples from apple picking.
- The crisp topping is like a crunchy oatmeal cookie that is high in fibre and protein.
- This crisp stores well in the fridge for 3-4 days so it can be enjoyed again and again! (If it lasts that long.)
Tips for best results:
- Use honeycrisp, granny smith, Macintosh or Cortland apples for best results.
- Don’t forget to peel the apples! Apple peel will be tough in the crisp and will make it less enjoyable.
- Use quick oats if you prefer a smaller crumble in your topping, or rolled oats if you prefer a chewier/nuttier texturein your topping.
- Use room temperature coconut oil or butter. This will give you a more crumbly dough and will result is a delicious crisp topping.
- You do not need to cover this crisp while baking. Make sure to bake it in the middle rack of your oven.
- 4 apples, peeled and cut into slices
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil,room temperature (can sub butter or vegan butter)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix the apples, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oats, almond flour, coconut sugar and salt. Using fork or your hands, mash the coconut oil or butter into the dry mixture until its well incorpoated and forms small clumps.
- Layer the apples in an 8×8 inch baking dish then sprinke the crisp topping on top of the apples.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown on top. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Choosing Chia.